February 9, 2017
Minutes of a Board Meeting of the Board of Directors of the American Indian Center of Chicago
Board Members Present: Les Begay, Kelli Covey, Adam Fahey, Bobbie Bellinger, Lisa Franqui
Board Members Not Present: Jack Campbell, Melyssa Navis
Staff: Vince Romero, David Bender, Tom Robertson
Guests: Eli Suzukovich
Call to Order: 6:00 pm
- Review and approval of agenda.
- Review and approval of meeting minutes for December 2016 and January 2017 tabled.
- Building Update
a. Ainslie close: We’ll determine date after the zoning hearing on February 17th decision.
b. “Closing” temporarily for a month or two (given our donors and 501c3 status this may not be possible without undue consequences, but we talked about some way to get a PAUSE while we get things in order.
- Pow Wow
a. We still owe the Park District money. Need further discussion on 2017 Pow Wow.
- Staff ReportsDavid Bender:
a. Presented two events – a Hip Hop Dance event that would also be a fundraiser (target date: April 11) and a Community Organizing Strategic Plan event (target date in March). He has created proposals and they were just forwarded on to us today (Feb 10). Both require money.
b. Hip Hop fundraiser – costs would be $2,000 up front, which the partner he has identified would provide. AIC would need to provide space and also his staff time. The HOPE is to make about $4,000, half of which would cover costs and the other half he said might be split with AIC and support for Standing Rock (which sounds like maybe $1,000 max for AIC). Issues with this event were 1) brings in little revenue 2) requires his staff time and 3) March is not a good time, given the move. Given the financial issues, we mostly agreed that this doesn’t make good sense as a priority right now. We do, however, need to let him know this decision.
c. Community Organizing Strategic Planning – this proposed event would be designed to set priorities and get community input for a community organizing plan going forward – to identify issues, hear community concerns, etc. He was estimating a cost of around $3,000 (again, see his proposal). While we noted that we don’t have a budget to support the event, he said that it is a requirement outlined in our Marguerite Casey Foundation event. So we will need to figure out what this means. We didn’t discuss it further. Suggestions are we review the grant requirements to be clear exactly what needs to be delivered and we see if it’s possible to do it at minimal cost (using staff as facilitators and maybe having a potluck to support it instead of providing food. Or finding the lowest cost option for food (like ordering pizza or having snacks). It does seem that since it is a requirement of the grant, we need to figure out how this work can get done. We are awaiting a response back on this front, so we need to let him know. Marguerite Casey grant proposal will be submitted and forwarded on to Bobbie (hopefully today).
For Staff reports, we need outlined:
* Job title
* Status - full time, part time, contract?
* # of hours per week
* What projects or work are they doing?
* How much of that work is supporting or supported by a grant?
To support grant documentation, Kelli will provide a template to Vince to gather all the grant information we need so we can determine program priorities for the rest of the year. It will include:
1) Grant focus and deadlines for doing the work and reporting on it
2) Responsibilities outlined in each grant
3) What required work has been completed?
4) What required work is still to be completed?
5) Who is responsible for completing that work?
6) Who is responsible for completing reports/proposal and talking with each funder?
We decided to begin by getting documentation about staff responsibilities and grant status.
- Financial Update
a. State of the organization; financial review.
b. We discussed possible options to immediately address.
c. Freezing all new programs and spending until the move is complete and we have time to get all documentation in order.
- Board/Staff meeting: We will meet with the staff on Saturday the 18th at 1pm in Tribal Hall to review staff reports and provide a State of the AIC. We will discuss the above and our financial situation.
- United vouchers: We will continue to use the membership raffle and any other opportunity for revenue through early March. We will then determine if we should sell outright or other options. End of March is the voucher deadline.
- Having a board retreat where we work through all the possible options.
- Gaby presented ideas for a membership card initiative that would require buying a printer for $700 along with materials in order to provide membership cards to paying members. In closed session, we acknowledged that, due to financial issues, this is not a priority right now. We will need to let her know our decision.
- She also noted that we received two new $500 donations. She needs a letter from Les and needs to produce a certificate of appreciation. Les is to follow up with her. We want to make sure we show our deepest appreciation to these donors.
- She also wanted the go ahead for the Powwow.
- Finally, the PayPal membership money has $1,800 and needs to be moved into the general account.
- ED will request for February 15th from the five staff members what grants they are working on, status and other grants they are involved with as staff. Also, asking them what they think their job descriptions are and what they actually do at the AIC.
Open Discussion: Eli – tax documentation. He had questions that need to be followed up by our accountant.
Meeting adjourned 8:30 pm.